Enjoy the tree lined Esplanade Avenue and discover the story of the French Creoles, including Edgar Degas and his maternal family, hosted by the Great-Grand nieces of the artist himself. This documented historical tour includes exploring both houses and viewing the award winning film " Degas in New Orleans, a Creole Sojourn." Also included is the Creole Neighborhood of Edgar Degas walking tour, which explores references to the neighborhood included in Degas' New Orleans letters. Total time for the tour is 2 hours and 15 minutes, $25 per person, scheduled by phone or email. We recommend taking the tour after enjoying our delicious cooked- to- order Creole Breakfast.
- The Degas House has been distinguished by The French Ministry of Culture and is included in the French National Order of Arts and Letters
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- The Degas House is the only home or studio of Degas open to the public in the world
- Degas' mother was a native Creole, born in New Orleans
- Degas created 18 paintings, 4 drawings and 5 letters while in New Orleans
- According to art historians and Degas Scholars, all of his New Orleans paintings were created in the house
- "Portraits in an Office, the New Orleans Cotton Exchange" dipicts his uncle, Michel Musson's cotton office and is the olny known painting of a post Civil War workplace . This is the only Degas painting sold to a museum during his lifetime.
- Degas resided in this House (1872 – 1873) with his maternal relatives, the Musson Family, whose business was cotton.
"New Orleans Cotton Exchange" (Portraits in an Office), 1873 Musee des Beaux-Arts, marked the beginning of the official recognition of Impressionism as a significant art movement.
- Degas' 18 New Orleans Paintings
- His famous New Orleans drawings and letters
- Discussions on Degas' family, the Mussons, and post Civil War life in New Orleans
- A tour of both houses including artist's studio guided by Degas' Great Grand Nieces
- A viewing of our award winning documentary, "Degas in New Orleans, a Creole Sojourn"
- The Creole Neighborhood of Edgar Degas Walking Tour
Advance purchase required as tours sell out! Get info, check availability and book your New Orleans Degas House & Neighborhood Tour online today, or call Zerve at (800) 979-3370.
Tour Discounts are available for groups, seniors, military, students, corporate, etc.
$25 per person
*Groups can be accommodated with advanced notice
Portrait of Mme Rene De Gas , Estelle Musson, 1872-73 New Orleans Museum of Art