Located on historic Esplanade Avenue, Degas House is the only home or studio of French Impressionist Edgar Degas in the world that is open to the public (Loyrette, 1998). Built in 1852 by architect Benjamin Rodriguez, the home was considered one of the most impressive of its day and is listed on the National Register of Historical places.
Degas came to New Orleans in 1872 and lived with his mother’s family, the Mussons, for four and a half months. He completed eighteen paintings and four drawings while living in their home. Due to his failing eyesight, the artist was unable to paint outdoors in the bright Louisiana sunlight. He worked in the Musson home and his bedroom doubled as his studio. His entire New Orleans collection was painted here (Byrnes, 1965).